First food taste with Ma Dels

I have shortlisted some of my preferred caterers in the market. I would love to get a caterer and stylist in one without breaking the bank. I was done with three caterers - Queensland, Quidos and Ma Dels.

By the end of my research, it was between Queensland and Ma Dels. I was leaning towards Ma Dels right from the very start and with its packages, I believe, this caterer will be the best choice. Despite some of the reviews of being unreachable, I still decided to go with Ma Dels - without meeting any of caterers first. 

The reviews are quite true - mahirap ngang kontakin si Ms. Anj - the owner of Ma Del's. I texted her and called her landline several times before succeeding on taking an initial meeting with her. I understand and somehow felt like it was a good sign that mahirap kontakin si Ms. Anj. It means she is very hands on and personally oversees the set up and preparation. 

Upon meeting her, she explained that they usually have one event per day - and good thing, wala pa silang booking on our day. With that, I knew I was on good hands. 

Our meeting turned out to be our first food taste with Ms. Anj. And this is our plate and our reviews.

Mushroom soup
1. Soup: Mushroom soup - I am a fan of mushroom soups - from instant ones to fastfood ones (ahem, KFC) to restaurants, so I am used to the taste. Ma Del's version is creamy, right mushroom taste. For me, this is resto-worthy. 
Appetizer: Chicken Empanaditas

2. Appetizer: Chicken Empanaditas. My mom (who a picky eater because she loves cooking and is the best cook ever), loved the empanaditas - to the extent that she asked for my own portion of the empanaditas. 

Main courses (Clockwise from top): Korean Pork, Cheesy Baked Macaroni,
Spanish Beef Caldreta, Chicken Flambe and Chopsuey
3. Pork: Korean Pork.  I am not a fan of spicy food, but I liked how this dish tastes. A little kick after every bite. The pork is tender enough. But we think we will still choose among pork dishes available on the menu. 

4. Pasta: Cheesy Baked Macaroni. My family loves my carbonara (it was a staple on every celebration since I discovered how to cook it) so pasta is definitely one of our forte. This baked macaroni is cheesy - it lived on its name. But the taste is so-so, we might get another from the pasta list. 

5. Beef: Spicy Spanish Caldereta. I love my mom's version of caldereta. And Ma Del's version is a tough competitor. My mom also liked their version of caldereta, spicy and flavorful. Gugustuhin din ng tatay ko at ng tatay-to-be ko ito bilang pulutan

6. Chicken: Chicken Flambe. This dish is one of their newest ones. It reminds me of Chicken Cordon Bleu, but with creamy sauce. The chicken rolled with bacon is a delightful one, and the creamy sauce is heavenly. Definitely one in our list. 

7. Vegetables: Chopsuey. This dish is ordinary, it did not stand out. Though I love how they were able to keep the vegetables crunchy and the right texture. My mom definitely makes better chopsuey so I am forgoing this one. 


Dessert: Leche Flan

8. Dessert: Leche Flan. Despite the small portion, I really liked how it tasted. Not too sweet, but with a citrus-y aftertaste. Ahem, I got a sweet tooth so lahat ng matamis, gusto ko. Mas matamis, mas okay. Mas nakaka-diabetes! My mom liked it as well, but I think we should taste their best seller - Buko Pandan Jello. 

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A FOOD CRITIC. I JUST LOVE FOOD and APPRECIATE THEM. 


Ms. Anj is a very nice and sweet lady. She will answer your questions as much as she can, and help you out on your needs. One thing that sold me to Ma Del's is that they ask for your pegs for the reception, you can share the table set up that you want, and they will try to execute it the best they can. 

My before-wedding notes

Pros: 
1. Food is delicious. Lasang lutong bahay, one thing that would remind you of home, comforting and delicious. 
2. Affordable packages. You can get few freebies (like your bridal car if you are not that choosy), bubble machine and others if you meet certain number of guests. It actually saves money and time! You can also get your tiffany chairs along with your chosen menu starting at Php 535/head. 
3. Ms. Anj is very accommodating. She understands what her client needs - affordable and swak-sa-budget weddings, without compromising the quality. I would love to meet Mama Del - the heart, soul, and hands of each dish.
4. Offers a good payment schedule. All you need is to pay your booking/ downpayment of Php 5,000.00 and you're good. You can sign the contract anytime - a month or two before your wedding, pay the 25% contract price, 50% weeks before your wedding and 25% on the day of your wedding.  

Cons: 
1. Brides are right - it takes a lot of PATIENCE to communicate with them. Either you call first thing in the morning (around 8am) or sa patay na oras - like 1 in the afternoon or 2. 
2. Ms. Anj doesn't answer text messages - which I am more convenient at. Better to call her landline to make sure somebody answers you. 

I do not have any experience with other caterers, my palette is based solely between my mom's cooking and Ma Del's. :)


Loving all the food, 

Dheng