The Proposal

By Dheng


We have been together for the past 7 years. Lagi ko syang niloloko, na I have this non-formal agreement with my childhood friend na kung by 30 e hindi pa kami nakakasal e kaming dalawa na lang ang magpapakasal. For the sake of not growing old alone.

Lagi na naman naming napag-uusapan about our future. Ano ang magandang bahay, ilan ang magiging anak, sino ang mag-aalaga sa future kids and alike. But nothing serious. We do not go into details - he never ask me kung saan ko gustong magpakasal. Never asked kung kailan ko gustong magpakasal. We joked around this wedding thing - always.

We are aware na he is second to the youngest in his family. Her oldest sister got married 2 years ago. He has 2 more sisters before him. And as a sign of respect, we wanted to give way to the older ones. Things happened in between. Kabado na ako na baka hindi ko matarget ang 8th anniversary namin as our wedding date. Malamang, mas kabado sya kasi in 3 years time (last year), I will turn 30.

We planned to celebrate our anniversary together. Kasi minsan lang kami magcelebrate together. In the span of 7 years, tatlong beses lang kami na magkasama sa anniversary. May sakit pa sya ng first anniversary namin. Good thing, he was extended in Japan for his work stint and we planned something more than ordinary for our 7th year. You know, the 7 year itch.

Fast forward, I was awarded a tourist visa to Japan and I found myself travelling alone to the land of the rising run. I was estatic, makikita ko na din ang lugar kung saan nagtatrabaho ang then-boyfriend ko. The vacation was on our anniversary week. We planned as tourist itinerary, we will visit the tourist places in Japan.

I felt na parang tunay na Hapon na si Louie. He really belonged to the crowd. Busy with things, mabilis maglakad. He was giving me instructions like I was a grade school student. Ahem, I survived a backpacking trip in 3 countries ano, I planned all the itineraries. Hahaha!

THAT FEELING

One day, he asked me to take care of his phone since he was busy with something. The curious cat in me came right at it. Of the 6 years of being together, I never read his inbox(es), neither he is to me. I never touched his phone, don't even know its security code, unless the message pops out while I am holding it and I hand it over to him as soon as I can.

So I found myself skimming in his phone inbox and reading selected texts. Two girls' names are always there. Kaya mas lalo akong naging interesado. So I read and read, until such time na napatingin si Louie sa akin and he grabbed his phone away from me. The nerve. That whole day (yes, I never told him this, dito nya lang mababasa), I was thinking - how could he! I mean, it was my first time to read his inbox messages. And then, he just grabbed it like that!

More, I was thinking, "Tarantado ito a. Siguro may tinatago itong ka-fling kaya kung makahila ng phone, wagas!" I never felt guilty, I felt betrayed and a little sad. He is keeping secrets from me. Moreso, it was a secret relationship with a girl. Not that I distrust him, baka una namang nakipaglandian ang girl and then, Louie, being a gentleman, offered his advices and friendship to her. Namisinterpret na ni girl. AND YES, THE WRITER IN ME. SUMAPI NA LANG BIGLA. I got made-up stories in my mind.

On our third day, we were in Disneyland and we just finished the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. He knows I am a big fan (ahem, Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp in one movie, makalaglag panty!) so he ushered me to the Pirates store. I was busy with all the pirates stuff and I picked up a mini treasure chest. I told him, it looks nice and I returned it to the shelf. I looked around more and then, nakita ko syang nagbabayad na sa counter. Sabi ko sa sarili ko, ano kaya ang binili nito. We are joking on the pirate's hat that I saw around and baka binili nya. But when I looked at him, sinabi nya, "Ayun mi o, tingnan mo yung hat na yun". Aba, may tinatago. Pinagtatabuyan nya ako the second time around.

Hindi obvious na may slight tampo na ako kay Louie dito.
Nawala lahat dahil sa Pirate's hat na ito. 


THE DAY

I was still thinking about the phone grabbing incident two days after and the play-on-my-attention scene sa Disneyland. We were celebrating our anniversary then. I never told him I was bothered. Nor, acted like I am. We were still on track sa itinerary namin and our trip for the day is Hakone and Mt. Fuji viewing.

I am very afraid of heights. But we need to ride a cable car to get to Owakudani valley and to the viewing site of Mt. Fuji. I was holding to my dear life then, habang sya, tuwang-tuwa how tortured I look like.

Torture at the cable car ride. 

As the final part of the trip, we need to cross the lake to the other side and we can see Mt. Fuji from there. It was a pirate ship, so nawala lahat ng duda ko sa katawan. Hello, pirates of the Caribbean sa Disney and now, I'll be riding a pirate ship? Cool beans!

Haggard na. May sakit pa ako nyan. Cough and colds.
Pero nung nakita ko yung pirate ship, "Ahoy, mate!"

He grabbed me, guided me to the top of the ship na standing lang. It was cold that day, around 6 degrees I think.

And in the middle of the trip, he asked, "Totohanin na natin ito, 'Mi."

I was about to slap him jokingly na "Gago ka no? Hindi pa pala totoo itong pinaggagawa natin".

He held my hand and put the mini treasure chest on my palm. I was happy, ito pala yung tinago nya sa akin. Kaya pala kung maka-distract sya sa attention ko.

I was about to put it in my jacket's pocket when he said, "Huwag mong itago. May ilalagay ka dyan". I was expecting a bracelet or something else. He gave me a watch a year ago.

He grabbed in his pocket, and said, "WILL YOU MARRY ME?" and slipped the ring at my finger. I said yes instantly, baka maunang tumulo ang luha ko e.

And other tourists, who are near us, had their biggest smile and whispered, "congratulations".

I turned my back at him and it was the greatest feeling ever. He hugged me from behind and while I was very much holding back my tears, mahirap umiyak ng malamig. Little ice droplets, frozen teardrops lang ang peg. I asked him, "Are you serious? Paano ang mga ate? Alam ba nila ito?"

Still aboard the pirate ship after popping the question.
Me and my fiance's first ever pic. 

We docked at the other side of the lake, and grabbed lunch and we talked about how he planned it. I think, I am giving him the opportunity to write about it. :)

Imagine, being engaged in a pirate ship. All the hesitations from the phone inbox, its all gone.

My ring - inside its original box and its new pirate chest home. 

He tortured me first by grabbing his phone from me, distracted me from the treasure box purchase, tortured me even more on the cable ride before proposing. I really found my man.

Our second pic, after we landed in true land. :D

I am happy and I know it.